Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

How to Give Birthday Flowers


Most of my posts are directed toward women but this is an exception.

MEN,

As most of you know, there are expectations of you. Women expect to be remembered on their birthday. Women love flowers. Correction: ALL WOMEN love flowers. Here's my how to on giving birthday flowers.

Just Do It
If you consider yourself attached in any way, shape, or form, you should probably give the lady some flowers on her birthday. No need to confess your undying love or anything. Just some flowers to be sweet.

Choosing the Flowers/ Size of Arrangement/ Card
This gets confusing, and you never want to overdo it or not go with enough. No need to break the bank here, Don Juan, but be thoughtful please.
  • if you're just "talking" - go with something cute and light. some Gerbera Daisies, Carnations, or Sunflowers would be more than appropriate. small bouquet here, nothing crazy!! Keep it short on the card. "Happy birthday" suffices, really!

  • if you're "dating" or "going out" but not facebook official, no title - you can stick with the "talking" flower selections and small bouquet, but make sure the note is a little more meaningful. Call her beautiful, lovely, or gorgeous. Say something sweet. Being funny is always a great route as well.

  • if you're totes offish - look into an arrangement. Go a little bit bigger. A cute combo of flowers. Throw some roses in the mix. Bright colors are great. If you're lovy dovy already, go ahead and be pretty romantic on the card.
  • if you're long-terming it - you know what she loves. If you don't know her favorite flower, go by her personality. If she's more introverted, go with delicate flowers like peonies, hydrangeas, or creamy roses. If she's a firecracker, get her more exotic flowers. Fun colors. Dahlias, lillies, tulips, get creative. Don't get too crazy on the size because those are usually more expensive flowers. It's the thought that counts. Make the note meaningful.
  • if you're engaged or married - ahhh. Don't mess it up!! Honestly, a bouquet of peonies is just about the most romantic thing in my book, if all fails, go with that. Roses are fool-proof. Get an arrangement if you're having trouble. Take your time on the note, dig deep buddy.
a little extravagant, but peonies are incredible


When & Where
If your woman is employed, your flowers must be delivered while she is AT WORK.  It is extremely important to women to have her birthday flowers in public at work. This is her day. She wants to feel acknowledged at work, and to be honest, she wants to show everyone at work that SOMEBODY cares enough to send flowers. It speaks volumes. Just do it.

Here's where it gets tricky....
If she's not at work on her birthday, you must ANTICIPATE and give her the flowers before her birthday, when she is at work.
  • birthday on a saturday or sunday: give the flowers on friday at work
  • if she works monday and tuesday, and her birthday is thursday: give the flowers on tuesday at work
If she doesn't work, give the flowers in an appropriate manner. If you're taking her out on a date, give them when you're picking her up. Basic.

Details
  • Delivery is optional. You can hand deliver it to her work or have it delivered.
  • Be aware that flowers wilt. And die. You don't want to buy them too far in advance!!
  • Don't spend a fortune. That's not the point!
  • Don't read into it too much if you're talking or dating. You're just being thoughtful.

THE END!

2 comments:

  1. Just a note to the men that are afraid flowers "mean something..."

    When I was a freshman in highschool, my friend, Dustin Pinkston, dropped by my house to give me a single rose on my birthday. We had grown up together, we were very close friends, our birthdays are close, and we were always sure to make it special for each other. It meant the absolute world to me!!! I NEVER considered that geature as him professing his undying love...

    When I was a sophomore in highschool, during my precalculus class, a basket of daisies and carnations were delivered to me on my birthday from one of my best guy friend at the time: Clint Thomas. If I questioned his thoughtfulness before, there was no doubt in my mind then.

    Almost ten years later I remember these gestures, and every single flower I've gotten since --- even the rose my dad bought me on my 21st bday at the bar from the creepy guy always selling roses...

    Flowers DO mean something, even if it is only something nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, Krista!! <3

    ReplyDelete