Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools 2 Weeks Notice

So I found out the hard way that any day of the year is okay to give serious notifications to your boss EXCEPT for April 1st which is April Fools Day.

I gripped my phone tightly and paced up and down the hospital hallway as I received the details of my new job... starting date, final salary offer, and the blessed green lights to give my two weeks notice. I texted a wonderful friend and asked for prayers. I was nervous!

This being my very first "big girl" job with a big paycheck, you can imagine I was extremely apprehensive about telling them I'm going to be parking my car a little further down the road (literally) for work.

I sat down at my computer, googled "2 weeks notice letter samples" and composed the most sincere, unoriginal letter of my life. Short and to the point, using none of my own words. Nonetheless, it would do.
I printed it, and crumpled it, realizing I had 2 different fonts... fixed it. Re-printed. Plagiarized letter folded in thirds (sans envelope) in hand, I marched my little way to the boss's office.

I lean on the doorframe...
H: Hey do you have a minute? It's important.
Boss: *smiles* sure!
H: Can we close the door?
Boss: is this a prank?!
H: No ma'am this is very serious.
Boss: *smiling* oh come on!!
H: *smiling* no I mean it! It's serious! I'm putting in my 2 weeks notice!
Boss: No way! I don't believe you!! *opens letter* Nah! I don't believe it!

*sigh*
So I finally convinced her that I was really leaving. How awkward. Funniest serious experience of my life.

My advice: no big news on April Fools. You will NOT, I repeat, will NOT be taken seriously.
Priceless. Hilarious. Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment