Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Job... ouch

Job... reading Job. And it makes me speechless.
It's like a punch in the gut.
Humility.

God is not punishing Job. He's not deserving of this punishment, the pain, the loss.
He's righteous. But at no point does Job back down. He knows God is big. God is good. God is all powerful. The whole time Job listens to his friends going on and on about how God wouldn't do this to a blameless man. Jerks. Intermittent streams, he calls them. "Now you too have proved to be of no help; you see something dreadful and are afraid." Job 6:21

"Blessed is the man  whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty" Job 5:17
.... the problem with this verse, is that Eliphaz, the "friend" who said it, did not mean it very kindly.
All the while, God is thinking "CONSIDER MY SERVANT JOB!! THERE IS NO ONE ON EARTH LIKE HIM!!! HE IS BLAMELESS AND UPRIGHT!!!" This was no correction. This was no discipline. It was just simply a test. A test of Job's integrity and trust in the Almighty.
Can we make sense of this? Bad things happening, not to punish, no one to blame, God in control.

Satan roaming the earth?

Am I no help when I see something dreadful? Yeah.... guilty. I've been the friend flailing around going "ummmm I'm not sure!" when I've received hard news. I don't know how to deal with certain things, and I am of no help. I don't understand things sometimes.

"For he wounds, but he also binds up; he injures, but his hands also heal." Job 5:18

I pray for healing hands. Wise words. I pray I can be a devoted friend, and not see things the way Eliphaz did. God's ways are so much higher.

"Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No one said a word to him, because they saw how great his suffering was." Job 2:13

Sometimes it's best to just sit on the ground and not say anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment