Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Retreat

I think of Spartans when I see the word retreat. 




But the retreat I'm doing is not the cowardice definition.

I have approximately 90 minutes to eat, shower, and pack a small bag for 5 days for a mini family retreat (wow we never take those, so this is really just a treat haha). We are going to some ridiculously beautiful places for a New Year's vacation.

Iguaba

Buzios

Cabo Frio

I'll be back in 2012

I'm not sure if I'll have a chance to upload any blogs during this retreat, or be on my computer much, but you better believe these wheels will keep on turnin'. Either way, there will be much more coming soon.

I figured it's only fair to go over my New Year's resolutions from my veeeery first blog entry here, almost a year ago, "2011... This better be good" haha

  1. 1. Serve others through cooking, especially my church family. More than likely requiring my mastery of OAMC and acquiring a stand-alone freezer.I had originally joined the Mercy Team at my old church, and I was actually a Mercy Team Captain, organizing meal provision for families in my church who had births, surgeries, or deaths in the family. Then I felt God's direction to switch churches (um best thing I ever did all year I think, no offense TBC, but The Vista was exactly what my heart needed).  Never  got the freezer, because I ended up selling all my stuff! Good call, right?

  2. 2. To save money and go visit my family in Brazil!!! How I miss them!! QUE SAUDADE!!
    Here I am, in Brazil! That worked out well :)


  3. 3. To put in some major running mileage on my Vibram Bikilas this year. Like 500+ miles for this year at least. Knees don't fail me now!!Not sure on my exact mileage because I stopped keeping track about halfway through the year, but as of June I was a little ahead of my goal, nearing 300 miles. I ran 2 marathons this year, and one half-marathon :) And I got 2nd place at a 10k in March, which was SO neat and unexpected. I had never gotten a medal (after track and crosscountry in high school) for any of my running events, other than a completion medal. And that day was awesome because I got to share love and encourage a volunteer lady that was getting treated like crap by the other runners. I wrote about it here. Oh and I had NO knee problems in 2011, thank You Lord!


  4. 4. To continue reading the Bible daily, humbly striving for growth and listening for His guidance.
    I did this :) I read daily. I really did this. And I can't be happier :) I've read most of the Bible this year. Some OT books I kindly skipped over, or skimmed, but I'm gonna tackle them in 2012. I'm currently reading a chapter of Job a day, til launch, and I am reading Ruth, because my heart needs it.


  5. 5. To KISS DATING GOODBYE and trust in God's timing.
    Oops. I had one boyfriend.  Didn't workout for a variety of reasons. So I kind of messed up #5, eh? I'll do better in 2012.



  6. 6. To not procrastinate my Christmas preparations like I did in 2010!!!! 
  7.  I spent my Christmas in Brazil, so I didn't do my annual "fudgeathon" like the usual. Sorry kids! No fudge or divinity, or the crazy awesome baked goodies this year. I didn't really send out cards either. Family took precedence this year, and the people nearest and dearest to me know that they are nearest and dearest ALL YEAR and don't need a reassuring tin can to come in the mail, right? Thank you guys. I love yall.

  8. 7. To get my smile straightened out with invisalign!
  9.  I did this!!!!! WOOHOO!!! Straight teeth. It hurt, in more ways than one. It was an insecurity I'd had for oh my whole life, and my family never could afford it. Big change. I don't regret it. I hate to say it was worth it, because it was expensive. Would I do it again? Ahhh no. I wouldn't. But now that it's done, I appreciate it... a lot.

  10. 8. To write encouraging notes and cards throughout the year. As it turns out, most people have this in common with me: we love encouraging hand-written notes and cards "just because"!!!
  11.  I did this :) I mailed out some, and really poured out encouragement via cards. Another thing I do for people now, because I know what it feels like, is comment. I leave comments. I don't just read their blogs anymore. I'm subscribed to my team, and a few extra, and every single time they write, you can bet you'll see a little comment from me at the bottom, no matter how simple. It's a simple way of showing love and support. It's the least I can do, and I know it means a whole lot. I care.

  12. 9. To not be a stumbling block to anyone. 
  13.  Ding ding ding. I think I did this well. I dodged a lot of bullets this year.  I praise God for the awareness He's given me, and all the times He's broken my pride. 

  14. 10. To look for ways to help others and use my time to serve Jesus. Yes, to go out of my way when an opportunity arises. 
  15. I think this one is a winner. I am leaving everything I know. I'm doing on a mission trip of a lifetime for 11 months, to 11 countries. You could say this is going "out of my way" :) Thank You Lord for providing a beautiful #10 for me.

     Okay kids, that's all I got. That should hold you over for a few days, eh? :)
     

    I wish you JOY in 2012. Unwavering, unconditional, down-in-your-soul JOY. Because joy is deeply-rooted in Christ, and happiness is a conditional blessing.

    HAVE A JOYOUS NEW YEAR :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment