Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Perception of Time

I was thinking deeply about how different my perception of time is now versus oh say back in high school.
I used to be busy busy all the time, having my hand in every cookie jar, juggling school, work, friends, sports, band, one-act play, every club imaginable, volunteering, church, family, and a boyfriend. And days would FLY!

I remember back then I didn't have a real cell phone! When I did have one, it was a pre-paid emergency one, and texting had yet to become what it is today. It hadn't grown to be my out-of-body organ that it seems to be now. Sometimes I really miss those simpler days. I remember calling my friends' house phone and asking to speak to them. People were paranoid about "chat rooms" haha

Now time just ticks by rather slowly for me. I never thought I'd say this, but I have too much free time. I feel very selfish with it, and I'm on the brink of doing something big about it. God will show me exactly the way to go, but I have an inkling of an idea. Granted I am training for a marathon (my third!) and I do volunteer at a christian clinic once a month, I still feel this awful longing to give more of my time to God and to others. I've been pouring into other people's lives. I've been trying to be a better friend. I watch MUCH LESS tv than I used to during my first year out of college (yay!) and I don't feel the need to catch up on the billion shows I'm behind on. But now I also hold people very accountable for the passage of time. I notice this more closely than I ever have before.

This is where my patience hits me. I think I'm struggling with patience because I have too much time on my hands. This is a lesson God is slowly unraveling for me.
Since I can remember, I've always been the "I want it all, and I want it now" person. Having gone through the rollercoaster of affliction, I appreciate things SO much more. This last week I had some "woohoo" moments where... well.. I screamed "woohoo" like some kind of idiot but it felt fitting. Overwhelmed by joy. There are days when I think "life can't get any better than this" and sadly I conclude I was correct, that the next day is dreadfully plain compared to the previous. But every single day is a gift from my wonderful God, and my hope is to use each one wisely.

If I could have my time tallied up, I'd want "honoring God" to top facebook, and "doing things for others" to top "waiting on others to do something for me."  I want to be more thoughtful and less selfish. I want to bring good, not harm, all the days of my life :) I want to open my arms to the poor. I want to laugh at the days to come. Ahh I want all the "I want to"s to line up with what God wants me to do.

So now I think it's time for me to pray about this time thing. I'm 24 years old. He has me here, single for a purpose. What do you want me to do with my time, Lord? And where? Here am I :)

Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment