Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Love Me a Challenge

I'm big on taking on big projects. I love me a challenge. I like to know the odds are slim, and it thrills me to attempt. Even more, it thrills me to succeed. This boldness can be used for good, for God, for His kingdom. It can also lead to long-term problems. With success, I get this rush of pride. With failure, I feel inadequate. Neither glorify God. I'm learning to let God bring me what He wants me to do. I now pray about whether these "projects" would glorify Him. If so, bring'em, Lord!  :)

Ecclesiastes has a ton to say about this. It hits home to me every single time. It sounds like me.

"I undertook great projects..." Ecc 2:4


To paraphrase..... I built great things. I thrived at creating and designing. I was more powerful and wealthier than others around me. I gathered up a fortune. I did anything I wanted to. I never said no to myself.- Ecc 2:4-10



this part is the punchline....

"Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun." Ecc 2:11



And it's true... the emptiness that comes after a "great success"... I always think of Olympic champions or record-setters. I think "well what now?!" and there is this great emptiness. You can keep repeating what you're doing, you can try to improve regardless of how unlikely. Ultimately... you run out. You realize setting a new goal doesn't really help. You're just going to end up right back where you started. Only God can bring us happiness.


Here's my encouragement:

"A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without Him, who can eat and find enjoyment? To the man that pleases Him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind." Ecc 2:24-26


The word of God is so powerful. 

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end." Ecc 3:11

No comments:

Post a Comment