Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Anxious Mess

Ahh inspiration at last.


I do sometimes dread that this verse has been so overused and it is repeated so often that it loses its kick. I need it to kick me tonight. I need this verse to come alive again, like it did when I first heard it. I quickly memorized it.  I made it so common that it got pushed back, it lost importance. The one thing I struggle with the most and the one thing I need the most, and I've been overlooking these powerful words of God.


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phil 4:6-7


As a Christian, I'm not supposed to be an anxious mess.

Anxious -  

1: characterized by extreme uneasiness of mind or brooding fear about some contingency : worried 
2: characterized by, resulting from, or causing anxiety : worrying 

3
: ardently or earnestly wishing 

 

 God says we're supposed to worry about NOTHING. and pray about EVERYTHING. when this anxiety arises... whether it's caused by fear or an ardent wish, that we're supposed to PRAY. 

 

If you DON'T pray about everything, you will be anxious!!!!!!!

 

Don't miss the part about thanksgiving. I've written about praising God, and being thankful because it is fitting. REGARDLESS of what's going on, we're supposed to keep in perspective that He's enough, and that He loves us so much. That is never going to change. That can always be the thanksgiving in prayers if I am so consumed with everything else, at least that much does not waver.   

 

Presenting our requests to God..... that part to me always made me think of psalm 139:4... "before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord.".... well then what's the point of prayer if God already knows what I'm about to say? The point of prayer... is that you're building a relationship with God, you're trusting in God. Some churches have very structured prayer patterns, and in a huge way I think that interferes with the building of a PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP with God. You and I, we are very very important to God, individually. He didn't just throw us out here and stop caring. He cares and loves us deeply. If we are to pray about everything, then that means we're to share EVERYTHING with Him. Let Him into all areas of our lives. Not just at church, or when money's short or someone's sick, or you've royally dropped the ball. God wants us to be in constant conversation with Him (pray continually - 1 Thess 5:17) He wants us to CHOOSE to include Him, and submit every aspect of our lives to His will. 

 

Ultimately, our lives are not our own when we accept Christ. We lay ourselves down, we are born again by grace. All this STUFF that worries us just.... shouldn't. Not when you know you are empowered by God. Not when you trust that God is very much in control.


God's answer to worrying is to pray. If I'm worrying, I'm not praying enough.

 

God doesn't stop there. God is so amazing, that He gives us a guarantee to go with those instructions. He doesn't say He might, maybe, possibly give you peace. The peace of God WILL GUARD you. It will guard your two most important places, where that worry seeps into: the heart and the mind. 

 

Gosh if only I could turn off my brain sometimes. My mother says that I'm too smart and that's why I'm impatient, because I'm dynamic. I don't think so :) I think everyone struggles with trying to keep their minds from anxiety, and their hearts from that terribly vulnerable panic. My prayer tonight is simple. 

 

God, please please please help me to stop worrying, and instead focus on Jesus. I am so worried/anxious/ardently wishing about _______________ that it is consuming me. I need Your peace. I need it guarding my heart and my mind. I need to surrender control. I need to be in constant prayer with You. God I praise You for Your power. You know what is best for me. You will fulfill Your purpose for me. You have works prepared in advance for me to do. Hold on to me!! Don't let me stray!! Be that voice behind me guiding me. Thank You for Your unfailing love. Truly that's what my heart longs for... unfailing love. It's what my mind worries about... unfailing love. Let me be consumed with Yours, only. In Jesus Christ's wonderful name I pray.


No comments:

Post a Comment