Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Anxiously Confident

I'm a jumbly mess of awesome feelings.
Today we got to do ministry with kiddos and it was precious. I wouldn't have minded taking 3 or 4 of them with me for good. I got to watch them destroy a pinata and chase after our truck. I made my first balloon animal, and it looked nearly unrecognizable but little Avi seemed pleased with the dog balloon. Let's just say there is room for improvement ;]
Here's a pic from this morning, with a few kiddos!


Then we went to do door-to-door ministry, and it was tough. Hands-down everybody's favorite.... pause NOT! I don't mind speaking Spanish, but today it felt like my brain was fighting it. I was fishing for words like craaaazy, couldn't seem to get my words right. I kept speaking Portuguese.... kinda funny thinking back to it :) but not at the time! The lady we went with would say "hello brother/sister, this here is a missionary and she has a word for you!" and then everyone would turn and look at me expectantly. No pressure! It's aight, I mean God put me here and if I weren't ready for this, it wouldn't have happened. From my teammate's perspective, I did well. His encouragement really perked me up. Thank the Lord that our translator isn't sick anymore, so I can back off the Spanish crash course a little tiny bit! Phew!


Worked with the youth tonight, and they are so sweet. We sat around for  a while and talked, mostly about movies. We did a lot of quoting Monty Python... well Caitlin and I quoted Monty Python, while everybody else stared awkwardly hahaha oh well majority of people either haven't seen the movies or don't get why they're funny. I praise the Lord for my random crazy sense of humor. I refuse to compromise it lol.

After much troubleshooting, the youth group watched a super random movie in Spanish about a guy who falls away from the Lord and into a life of debauchery and illicit drug usage... then, when a drug deal goes bad (don't they always?!), he gets shot, then paralyzed, then he rehabs his way into walking again and renounces his old sinful ways, and shares a pitcher of koolaid with his younger sibling! Outstanding acting and cinematography for a late 80's movie, let me tell you! Very touching, despite the overdose of acid wash jeans/jeggings. My teammate appreciated my random English dubbing skills, she was laughing pretty hard. "No, I'm sorry, your hair is too big!" "but I'm a great influence on you!" "okay, I'll date you...but I'm not buying you jewelry!" "deal."

We climbed back in the van and I successfully smashed my left big toe with a metal folding seat. It's no longer numb but it is swelling. I'm glad my nail polish is purple, because I don't want to know what it looks like underneath my nail. I'm happy to report I took it like a man.

We went to a pizzeria and ate a ton. We even made a song for Travis, who is like a bottomless pit when it comes to eating. We took a JDH song that goes "You are an endless ocean, a bottomless sea.... there's no end to the affection You have for me" and turned it into "you have an endless stomach, a bottomless pit, there's no end to your intestines, travis lee!" haha just appreciate that. Really. Appreciate that, because it's humor at its best.

Then..... we got home and there was an iguana stuck in the pastor's truck's dashboard. Yes, iguana #2. Here's a pic of iguana #1, rip, ex-boyfriend!

Totally normal and predictable World Race business. I mean, who has a normal life anymore? So I got to film the retrieval of tomorrow's lunch meat, and then hold the thing by the tail. CRAY CRAY! I will hopefully get to eat iguana for lunch tomorrow...

I got to kill lots of bugs today, also, which makes me happy.



I got to see my D squad girls on Skype tonight! Amanda and Brittany just bring joy to my heart. It was therapeutic to see their smiling faces and hear their voices. I am so encouraged.

I'm making my way through Acts. I started yesterday and I'm hoping to finish tomorrow. It just sheds new light to be on a mission trip, reading Acts all the way through. I'm pumped for all the growth in the Word this year. Epic growth.

So that's my day... my crazy Saturday... I find myself anxiously confident, bringing my requests to my Daddy in Heaven and finding an overwhelming peace within me about the plans He has for me. His timing and His sovereignty are perfect. His mercies are new every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment