Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

The Dying Art of Modesty

Modesty struck me tonight.

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.  -- Galatians 1:10

As I set aside my workout clothes for the morning, I stopped to think of what here would be considered "MODEST"... well this shirt is a bit tight. and this top rides up.. these shorts are um well short. Pants are tight. You get the point... a lot of my workout clothes aren't "modest" and for the longest time I've said "well everybody wears these and it's no big deal" and had a locker room mentality about it all. As a woman, I have a responsibility to be modest. God doesn't say "hey cover up when it's cold," He says...

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;  you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. -- 1 Cor 6:19-20

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. --Romans 12:1

As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.-- 1 Peter 1:14

I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God -- 1 Timothy 2:9-10

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. --1 Peter 3:3-4

For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.-- 1 Thessalonians 4:7

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. -- Philippians 2:3-4

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. -- Galatians 2:2-20

Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. -- Galatians 5:26

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. -- Galatians 6:14

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.-- Colossians 3:1-2

Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. -- Romans 14:13

Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? -- 1 Corinthians 3:16

Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature. -- Romans 13:14

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--His good, pleasing and perfect will. -- Romans 12:2

Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. -- 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22

You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh ; rather, serve one another humbly in love. -- Galatians 5:13


We put no stumbling block in anyone’s path, so that our ministry will not be discredited. -- 2 Corinthians 6:3


Are we honoring God with our bodies? Standing in front of the mirror, picking out the clothes that look sexy? That compliment our best features so others can "feast" their eyes? Are we getting dressed thinking consciously that our choice can potentially lead someone to sin? That this sin is on us, for being vain and conceited? Do we stop to think if God is pleased with our appearance? Or are we purposely trying to provoke others, getting dressed out of envy to compete with other people? Are we so obsessed with fitness and outward appearance that those who are considered fit must always show off their bodies, like trophies? Why is the "unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit" not enough?

Let us PLEASE take a little longer when we're getting dressed. Let's please ask ourselves "is this pleasing to God?" and "God, am I wearing this to please others or to please you?" and CHANGE. CHANGE CLOTHES. You may have to be that person sweating the most. You may have to purchase a larger size than the world says "fits" so clothes aren't so tight. You may have to choose a t-shirt instead of the tight top that rides up. You may have a farmer's tan! You may not get the second-glance!! But please please PLEASE think of your brothers in Christ, TRYING so hard in this filthy world to be holy men of God. COVER UP. I have a little brother, I say little but he's a grown man. It's my prayer that he trains his eyes to find beauty in discerning, modest women. It is my prayer for all my brothers in Christ.

Women, let's make a vow to God to serve others, to be submissive, even in how we dress. That we make a choice to declare MODEST = BEAUTIFUL, and no longer conform to the sad, degrading pattern of this world. That we may store up passion and honor our husbands, keeping our bodies holy, safe from prying eyes. We should desire God's attention, and God's approval. I'm going to start saying a quick prayer after I get dressed, asking God to help me be an ambassador for Him, not a stumbling block.


She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. -- Proverbs 31:25,30

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Sadly most women don't hear this message. I know I didn't even think about modesty when I was younger - thanks for doing your part to spread the very important word : )

    -Becky

    ReplyDelete