Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Be a Reasonable Christian?

I am overflowing. God has been pouring into me, and He is at work in me.
He has called me to do something that in the world's eyes is UNREASONABLE.


I am not sorry. I am not stupid. I am not irresponsible. I am not crazy.


I am a follower and disciple of the one and only true God, and Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Redeemer of the world, and of the Holy Spirit.


If you are not with Him.... you're against Him.
Woe, woe to those against Him. May you find grace and mercy and repent soon.


Let's go through a few of the reasonable, faithful Godly people God used in the Bible?


Noah - God told Noah to build a HUGE boat in the middle of a field. Oh and get a zoo together, a male and female of every animal. Get all that in the boat, and take your family. Then God flooded the earth and everybody who wasn't in that boat died.
Abraham - God told Abraham to take his son Isaac to a mountain and sacrifice him to the Lord. He had the knife ready to go when God sent an angel to stop him. It was a test. Reasonable? No. But it's the point, if God tells you to do something, you better be ready to do it.
Sarah - God told Sarah she would have a baby when she and Abraham were way way old. Abraham was 100 years old when Isaac was born. God says, it happens.
Moses - God told Moses to rescue the Israelites from Egypt. With a staff at hand, he was able to part the Red Sea.  Boom.
Jonah - God told Jonah to go tell the city of Nineveh that destruction was coming. Instead Jonah decided to go to Tarshish. Oops. His boat was in a fierce storm, the crew decided to throw Jonah overboard, and voila, the storm stopped. Jonah survived in the belly of a whale for 3 days. Then he was vomited onto dry land. Then he went and did as God said. Do as God says, try and do it the first time around.
Joshua - God said hey Joshua, have your people march around the walls of the city you're gonna conquer. Do it once a day, for 6 days. Oh and hey, on the 7th day, march one more time but get some trumpet-playing priests to march with you, and have your people shout while you're at it. After you've all made this huge scream parade, the walls will just fall right on down! Reasonable military strategy? Not really... but God made it happen because God can do anything.


Jesus Christ was crucified. Do you think He didn't know it was coming? A brutal death? He accepted the will of God. He knew He was the atonement for our sins. That the Son of God chose a cross to save me? That's not reasonable. I'm so unworthy. We're so unworthy. But Christ loved us enough, and God loved us enough.


The point is that what is impossible with man is possible with God.
God doesn't choose the strong and the wise, but He chooses the weak and the foolish to shame and confound everyone. God's ways are ABOVE our ways, and His ways are right and just.


This world and this culture and the things we consider reasonable don't last. If that's what you hold on to, and that's what you serve, you will not be satisfied. Besides, what you consider reasonable today wasn't reasonable back in the day. And in the future it probably won't even BE reasonable anymore. Let's say it's reasonable for me to work and keep a job and be independent from my family. Back in the day women didn't even have the freedom to do so. Oh and CURRENTLY today in several cultures, an unmarried woman does not live apart from her family. To do so would be considered unreasonable. There goes reason, right out the window. What stays is God and His will.


Toss your reasons, toss your preconceived notions of what is right and proper. Many christians are persecuted today. Many christians are tortured and beaten for our faith. Many people are dying without ever hearing about Christ. People starving to death. Who are you? What makes you better than anybody else? What makes me think I deserve anything I have? I could be somewhere else starving. How fortunate that I'm in America, and I have a job. But God has told me to do something that is "unreasonable" and called me to go on a mission trip. Overseas. For 11 months. Yes, quitting my job (gasp) in this ECONOMY!!!!!!!!!!!!


Who cares about the economy?! I'm sorry, but WHO DO YOU SERVE?


I serve the living God. The Holy One who created me, protected me, provided for my every need, got me through school, comforted me through every kind of pain, and He also hooked me up with a job in this economy. He wouldn't ever EVER EVER fail me. He never has. Everyone has. Everything else has. He never has. He never will. His love is unfailing. If He's put this in my heart, which He has (this isn't MY idea) then it will happen.


To those who I've turned to and have encouraged me and prayed over me... God only knows how much I appreciate it.


To those who I've turned to and got told that I'm crazy... God only knows how much I appreciate it.


To those who I've turned to and asked for help, to let me live with you for 3 months in one of your 2 empty bedrooms and SAID NO aka my parents.... God only knows how much I appreciate it.


He will provide for me regardless. I pray He blesses them abundantly regardless.  That's the beauty of the God I serve, He doesn't need anybody's help. This just makes it that much more miraculous that God has called me to be a missionary. I love them so much and someday I hope they are proud of me, but if not, my Creator's approval will make up for it. I will go where He sends me.


"Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives the one who sent me. Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and anyone who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man will receive a righteous man's reward. And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." - Jesus Christ, Matt 10:37-42

4 comments:

  1. So... where are you going?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Central America, Africa, and Asia. 11 countries in total. I am still in preparation and prayer. Prayer is all I need right now. Will know more soon, and I'll give more details soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helena, when I read this, my heart became so happy! I can see you being such a beam of light in this area - you'll definitely be in my prayers!

    "If you are what you should be, you will set the whole world ablaze!" -St. Catherine of Siena

    God bless+
    Becky

    ReplyDelete